First introduced in 1977 and blessed by piping hydraulic world-known guru Idelchik, PASS/HYDROSYSTEM has since evolved into one of most powerful piping flow analysis tools.
PASS/HYDROSYSTEM provides diameter selection, heat and hydraulic analysis of steady state flow for real liquids, gases, and multiphase mixtures (including gas/liquid, oil/water, and gas/oil/water flow considering flashing and condensation), in piping systems of any complexity, including networks with loops.
It also covers the most dangerous type of transitional flow related to liquid surge (water-hammer), and flow assurance calculations, including severe slugging, and gas hydrate formation prediction.
PASS/HYDROSYSTEM combines sophisticated calculation capabilities with ease-of-use to deliver fluid flow and heat transfer simulation and sizing of any piping network in any design stage by “regular” engineers and designers. Process and piping engineers of more than 600 companies use the software now every day.
New features and significant enhancements
- Analysis of pipelines with different wall roughness has been added. The new option is important for pipeline reconstruction.
- A new piping component ‘reservoir’ has been added to simplify modeling storage tanks and other equipment with liquid column.
- The ability to set and calculate gauge pressures along with absolute pressure.
- The option of customizing the list of pipe diameters from which the diameters are selected during the diameter’s calculation has been added.
- The algorithm for initializing the default water hammer boundary conditions has been changed — now the boundary conditions in the start and end nodes of the pipeline by default are the conditions of constant pressure (regardless of what is specified in the node when calculating the stationary flow – pressure or flowrate).
- Ability to automatically recalculate elevations on the elements according to their graphic orientation (the so-called “recalc by graphics”) at each calculation of the pipeline. This feature is optional – you can enable/disable it in the program settings.
The ability to more accurately enter properties and calculate the parameters of solid particles when calculating ‘slurry’ flow has been added.
You can now model the size distribution of particles.
Links with other software
The user may now import data from the AVEVA E3D software through open format files. The corresponding plug-in is supplied with the program.
Clarifications and improvements have also been made to the module for importing data from the AVEVA PDMS software.
The ability to copy temperature dependent properties table of the fluid from Excel and other software has been added.
Various improvements in the graphics subsystem
- Ability to show the sizes of pipes on the pipeline diagram
- Ability to display the name of the pipeline elements on the pipeline diagram
- Ability to fit the pipeline model into the window by double-clicking on the mouse wheel
- Ability to rotate the pipeline model around some point through Shift + click and hold the mouse wheel
- After operations of zoom and pan now program automatically returns to the mode of selecting elements in the diagram
- Ability to cancel and return operations using the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl + Z and Ctrl + Y in the project tree window and the graphics window (previously these keyboard shortcuts worked only for operations in the parameters window).
- The algorithm for group selection of elements “from node to node” on the graphical diagram of the pipeline has been changed – now the first of the selected nodes is considered the binding node by default. You can change the binding node as before by pressing and holding the Ctrl key (after selecting the desired fragment of the pipeline) and clicking on the corresponding node in the diagram.
A few bugs, namely for maximum pressure during water hammer computations or lost parameters when inserting nodes have been fixed.
Moreover, some minor errors and inaccuracies in the program have been fixed.
To get the new version of PASS/HYDROSYSTEM, please contact us.